Blogs > Kid You Not

Kid You Not believes in the Wizard of Oz style of parenting: All you need is a brain, some courage and a heart. Oh, and some Jager.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

4 out of 5 girls can't be wrong


If you were a girl between the age of 6 and 11, you were watching the premier of High School Musical 2 last Friday night. The Disney phenomenon was watched by 17 million people, a new record for basic-cable viewership. Four of every five girls between 6 and 11 who watched TV that night watched HSM2.
My daughter, 7, of course, watched every second. She went to a HSM2 party, where I’m told there was much screaming, dancing and embarrassment about why they feel that way about some boy named Zac. Wait a second, my daughter feels that way about some boy? When did this happen? Disney might turn some girls into little tramps, but not mine. The only TV character I’m cool with my daughter crushing on is Jack Bauer. Maybe Steve McGarrett.
I haven’t sat through the movie. My wife says it’s harmless, wholesome and kind of cute. It couldn’t possibly be more entertaining than this classic kid movie.
That every girl on earth watched HSM2 is no surprise. What amazed me was the previous record holder for basic-cable viewership: The 1993 CNN debate on the North Atlanic Free Trade Agreement, with 16.8 million viewers. I remember 1993 pretty well, and there’s no way basic cable was that boring back then. Was this debate held in the nude?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home