Blogs > Kid You Not

Kid You Not believes in the Wizard of Oz style of parenting: All you need is a brain, some courage and a heart. Oh, and some Jager.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I will not resign


I have shamed my family. I have shamed myself.
It’s time to stop the lying. It’s time to be honest with those I love.
I stole my daughter’s allowance money. It was $18 she kept in her purse.
First, let me explain.
It was late at night. I was alone. A friend called and said he needed an extra player for his team’s hockey game tonight. I admit, I gave into temptation. I put my needs before the needs of my family. Men’s league hockey with other middle-aged round-around-middle dudes is, I admit, tawdry. The sweat, the communal showers. The physical contact. God, help me.
I rifled through my pockets for the $20 I needed to, um, complete the transaction. I found nothing. I panicked. I was already in to deep. Then I thought about my daughter’s cash.
She wouldn’t even know it was gone for a few days. She’s 8 years old. Her WebKinz cash is more important to her than a couple ten spots.
So I took it and I handed it over. And I played my game. Yes, it was arrogant. Yes, it was self-righteous. And it made my legs really sore.
I’m not asking for forgiveness. I’m asking for understanding. Let me remain a good father. Let my family remember the good times.
And, hey, at least I wore protection.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

shame on you! where are your morals. We are supposed to teach our children that stealing is wrong! when my 6 yo took a yoohoo and candy bar from a local market, I marched her right back down to that store with her pink piggy bank in hand and made her admit she stole and pay the man!
It really urks me when people who are morally bankrupt write blogs and try to tell decent folk how to raise our children, then turn around and steal from their own.

Shame on you!

10:29 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home