Blogs > Kid You Not

Kid You Not believes in the Wizard of Oz style of parenting: All you need is a brain, some courage and a heart. Oh, and some Jager.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

No TV? Are you nuts?

Kid You Not’s favorite parenting advice columnist, John "Go ahead and smack the little bugger" Rosemond is surveying parents about TV. He thinks kids who watch a ton of TV are frying their brains, and he’s probably right. As always is the case in Rosemond’s world, the solution is harsh: no TV ever, ever, ever. Rosemond is surveying parents who have completely eliminated TV.
Here’s the questions and Kid You Not’s answers:
Q. Are you experiencing significant problems in the area of discipline?
A. Yes, there’s hitting and shouting. And that’s just between me and my wife. We’re frustrated because the sound of whining in the house has reached Gitmo interrogation volume levels.
Q. Have any of your children been diagnosed with a learning disability or learning disorder, including attention deficit disorder?
A. Yes, ever since we eliminated TV.
Q. Are they having problems in school and if so, of what sort?
A. Yes, they’re drawing pictures of a TV on the blackboard and acting out scenes from "Higglytown Heroes."
Q. Do your kids play independently and creatively or do they rely heavily upon you to structure their free time.
A. They have become very creative. They built a thermonuclear device in the basement using the hard drive from a Commodore 64, a coffee can and the trigger switch from a Barbie safari Jeep. They have threatened to detonate it if we don’t turn on "Charlie and Lola" RIGHT NOW!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very amusing. I am 20 years old and I practically grew up in front of the telivision, like many of my fellow peers of generation Y. Now I dont actually know if my brain is fried, I would say it isn't, but who am I to judge? In contrast though, as weird as this might seem to those like John Rosemoned, I am still a productive member of society. Even throughout all the years of Ninja Turtles, Saved By the Bell, 90210, The Real World, Oprah, a mix of Sega, Nintendo, Gameboy, and Playstation.

3:16 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
I meant to mention to you that I read your blog at the gathering on Sunday, but I missed you. I always get a laugh at your posts...they usually echo my own sentiments regarding the crapshoot that is parenting.
Maybe in upcoming weeks you would like to write a little something on the age-old question "on or off: police scanners at the dinner table" I would love to contribute.
Fondly,
Marissa

2:34 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home