Blogs > Kid You Not

Kid You Not believes in the Wizard of Oz style of parenting: All you need is a brain, some courage and a heart. Oh, and some Jager.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

No Whiffle Ball? Are you nuts?


This weekend is the annual induction ceremony for the National Toy Hall of Fame.
The nominees are: Atari, Big Wheel, Easy-Bake Oven, Lite-Brite, Fisher Price Little People, Hot Wheels, Lionel trains, Operation, Pez, the rubber duck, the skateboard and Twister.
All worthy choices, except for the rubber duck. That’s just stupid.
Growing up, I didn’t have a lot of brand-name toys, so I’m not emotionally attached to much on this list: Big Wheel, Atari (born too early); Easy-Bake, Little People (not gay, afraid of that little light bulb that heated up); Twister (parents told me it leads to pregnancy); Pez (not really a toy); Operation (my friend John had it, afraid of getting buzzed. From the game).
But you can be damn sure I had Hot Wheels, a skateboard and a Lionel train. Two toys from this list get inducted and I would choose Hot Wheels and the skateboard. In the 70’s, the first wave skateboard craze hit my town hard. My parents bought me a cheapie from a store called Child World, and I rode that thing until the wheels literally fell off. All my Hot Wheels are long gone, but I can still feel them in my hand and remember the time I doused a Rolls Royce in lighter fluid and torched it. Was that wrong?
The glaring omission from the list is the Whiffle Ball, made right here in Shelton. Like Jim Rice, the Whiffle Ball has been on the list, but never makes that cut. This year, it didn’t even get nominated.
Here’s hoping the nomination panel takes a line drive right on the arm. Boy, did that sting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of toys, and knowing that you have daughters...
Have you had the misfortune of viewing these horrible dolls "Bratz"? OH. MY. GOD. I can sum it all up right here. There is one I saw the other day called "Baby Bratz" and in addition to the little mini doll (an infant in a diaper with an updo, lipstick and mascara that makes Tammy Faye look underdone) there is also an accessory. The baby's accessory: A TANNING BED. Need I say more?

8:37 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home