Blogs > Kid You Not

Kid You Not believes in the Wizard of Oz style of parenting: All you need is a brain, some courage and a heart. Oh, and some Jager.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tears in Frostbite Falls

"And now, here’s something you’ll really like."
If those words trigger some deep, nostaligic memory of sitting on a yellow beanbag chair in a dark paneled den watching a big mahogany console TV, you’re like me. A flying squirrel would say those words, and then a talking dog, a boy and a time machine would appear. Or maybe a strange fairy tale or a Canadian mountie. Then you would be transported into an absurd, wonderful animated world.
All those memories came flooding back today when I read the New York Times obituary page. At the top was the obit for Joe Barbera of Hanna-Barbera fame, creators of the "Flintstones."
"Oh, that’s too bad," I thought.
Then I glanced at the bottom of the page at a smaller obit. "Chris Hayward, 81, TV writer." There was a photo of a cartoon moose and squirrel.
I put down the newspaper, looked up and suddenly I was a 10-year-old boy again. "Rocky and Bullwinkle" can do that to a guy. I’m not afraid to admit this: That show, which I haven’t seen in at least 25 years, helped make me who I am.
I never loved the "Flintstones" the way I loved "Rocky and Bullwinkle." The "Flintstones" animation was too primitive, too washed out. The plots too linear and simple. "Looney Tunes" from an earlier generation seemed more artistic and fearless. Mashing up Bugs Bunny and the Barber of Seville seemed like a logical thing to do.
"Rocky and Bullwinkle" was made on the cheap, but the writing was crazy and ironic, zooming around like comedic super ball. If anybody thinks "Family Guy’s" Brian was the first acerbic, brainy talking cartoon dog, just set the wayback machine and watch a few Mr. Peabody episodes.
Here’s how Wikipedia puts it: "Much of this success was a result of it being targeted towards both children and adults. The zany characters and absurd plots would draw in children, while the clever usage of puns and topical references appealed to the adult demographic. Furthermore, the strengths of the series helped it overcome the fact that it had choppy, limited animation; in fact, some critics described the series as a well-written radio program with pictures."
Maybe some of that stuff was over the head of a 10 year old, but it made made me think something was around the corner, just beyond my grasp. Now I know was it was: Monty Python, Annie Hall, Ren & Stimpy, Whit Stillman’s "Metropolitan" and Wes Anderson’s "Rushmore."
Thank you, Bullwinkle J. Moose, wherever you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home